You may setup multiple custom shipping methods to cover your shipping
restrictions and/or to provide shipping options to your customers.
The shopping cart does not take into account the total of an order, however there is a workaround to charge shipping as a percent of sales by setting the weight for all of your items to the same as their prices. So if you have a $12.50 product, you would need to set the weight to 12.5.
To Setup Percentage Based Shipping:
- Navigate to the 'Edit Store' tab -> 'Shopping Cart' -> on the left-hand menu click on 'Shipping'.
- Click on 'Add Custom Shipping Method'.
- Enter a name for the shipping method.
is displayed to the customer during the checkout process. If multiple
shipping methods apply for the customer's location, they will have the
option to choose which shipping method they would prefer.
- Select the country or countries that the shipping rate applies to.
- If the shipping rate applies to the entire world, select 'Anywhere'.
- If the shipping rate only applies to a single country, select 'Inside' and then use the 'Select options' drop down menu to select the country.
- If the shipping rate applies to multiple countries, select 'Inside', and then use the 'Select options' drop down menu to select the applicable countries.
- If the shipping rate applies to all countries with one or more exceptions, select 'Outside', and then use the 'Select options' drop down menu to select the country that you will not ship to.
- Specify the states or provinces that the shipping method applies to.
- If you have selected United States or Canada and the shipping rate applies to the entire country, leave the field blank.
- If the rate only applies to a specific state or province, enter the 2-letter abbreviation for the state or province. For example, for California, you would enter "CA".
For multiple states or provinces, continue adding the variations for
each one separated by commas: "BC, AB".
- Enter the cost per unit of weight as your shipping percentage. For example, if you charge 8%, enter "0.08".
- NOTE: All of your products should have a
weight specified as equal to its price otherwise the percentage will be off. If there is no weight specified for an item, it would be free with this shipping method.
- Click on 'Add Custom Shipping Rate'.
- Name: Ground Shipping
- Country: Inside -> United States
- States/Provinces: blank
- Cost per unit of weight: 0.15
The above would charge $7.50 to ship an order that totals $50 to any location within the United States.