1. Select your site from your 'Dashboard' page, then click the 'Edit Site' button near the top of the page.
2. Click 'Domain & Email'.
3. You then see 2 options:
- 'I want a domain name from [HOST.NAME]' - You wish to register a new domain name through us.
- 'I already have a domain name and I want to use it with my site' - You already own a domain name with a third party registrar company (e.g. godaddy, netsol) and would like to set up that domain name with your website.
If you're attaching a domain name you already own, you'll need to change your DNS settings with your domain registrar to:
Primary DNS Server: ns1.domaincityservers.com
Secondary DNS Server: ns2.domaincityservers.com
Here are instructions for changing your DNS for some domain registrars:
GoDaddy - click here
Yahoo - click here
Netfirms - click here
Network Solutions - click here
PowWeb - click here
IMPORTANT: This update can take between 24 to 72 hours.
- You cannot set up a custom domain name while in trial mode. If you are still in trial mode, click the 'Pay for Site' button on the toolbar.
- If you have purchased your domain name elsewhere, you will still need to manage and renew your domain with your registrar.
For editing purposes, you edit on your [HOST.NAME] version of your site.
Any changes you make there automatically show up on your domain.
Basically, your domain name shows your [HOST.NAME] site.
- Any links which are automatically
generated by us will switch to your domain when you are on the domain
name version of your site -- i.e. the menu links. However, if you have inserted any links
yourself manually where you typed in your [HOST.NAME]
address you will need to update them to your domain instead. Just right-click
on the link, select 'Edit Link' and make the
correction. For example, if your web address is
http://www.cars.[HOST.NAME]/tires.html and your domain is autos.com, you
would link to http://www.autos.com/tires.html instead. Notice how
everything in front of and behind autos.com is the same.