Custom Shipping Rates allow you to decide exactly how much to charge your customers for shipping based upon a flat rate, the number of items they are purchasing, the total weight of the purchase, or any combination thereof.
- Start by navigating to 'Edit Store' -> 'Shipping' -> '+Add Custom Shipping Rate'. You can add as many custom rates as you like, and each will appear as a shipping option to the customer.
- Enter a Name for the rate: this will appear as the option name to the customer.
- Select to which countries the rate will apply (for example Inside the United States). You may select multiple countries by holding down 'Ctrl' on your keyboard and clicking with your mouse.
- Enter a state, or list of states to which the rate will apply. If the rate only applies to a specific state or province, enter the
2-letter abbreviation for the state or province. For example, for California, you
would enter "CA".
For multiple states or provinces, continue adding the variations for
each one separated by commas: "BC, AB". If you would like the rate to be available to customers in all states, leave this option blank.
You can then choose to charge based on the order, items, or weight of the purchase. Some common custom methods are listed below.
Charge a base rate, or flat fee:
You can charge a base cost, or flat fee on each order.
- Under 'Cost per Order' enter your base cost or flat fee. For example entering $10.00 here and leaving the other two fields blank would charge customers $10.00 for shipping regardless of the contents of their purchase.
- If you add a number into either of the two other fields (Cost per item in order and/or Cost per unit of weight), the customer will be charged $10.00, plus the calculated total of those other fields.
Charge per number of items:
Entering a cost in under 'Cost per item in order' will charge the customer based on the number of items they are purchasing, multiplied by the number you add here.
Charge per unit of weight:
Each product's weight should be entered in on it's Product Page (by viewing the product, then clicking 'Edit Page'. If you enter in a cost next to 'Cost per unit of weight' the customer will be charged that cost, multiplied by the total weight of the purchase.
You can set restrictions on a custom shipping option so that it is only displayed if the order meets certain criteria.
Order Total Cost
This option will allow you to define a minimum and maximum order cost that this option will be offered for. For example, you could create a $10 shipping option that is offered on all orders between $0 and $100.
Order Total Weight
This option will allow you to define a minimum and maximum order weight that this option will be offered for. For example, you could create a $10 shipping option that is offered on all orders between 0lbs and 20lbs.